Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Old Quilts Adamstown PA Part 1

We just got back from a vacation.  It was a vacation, not a trip.

Some plans were concrete, some days we slept in and decided what to do after coffee....lots of relaxing.

We love to antique and I thought I'd share a few pictures of some old quilts.  Some shops didn't allow photos.  I always ask.

This log cabin was really jazzed up with a border.

I should have taken a photo of the coverlet next to it too!

I was having too much fun shopping.  I found quite a few things in this shop I'll share in a future post.






2" finished HST.  Block set on point.



The hand quilting on this red and white was very pretty. Made of 16 HST's set on point.  How simple is that!

It's quite striking.

I wonder why I didn't get this one?  I left it for someone else, I can't have them all.

The shops were pretty busy, which was good to see.

We had one small detour on a back road to Sauder's in Denver PA, otherwise the area is thriving.










This nine patch was purchased while I was shopping.  I know it went to someone who LOVES it.  It was fun to talk to the new owner.

I was going to lay it out and take a picture of the variety of fabrics in the nine patches.

The backing is a 40's floral so the top was quilted later in its life.

Note the yellow tag - all the PA shops had them noting the item is used and not new.  If you're into regulations you can read about them HERE.

Simple and sweet old quilts!
I did bring hand sewing because looking at quilts always makes me want to stitch.

MANY more pictures to share...stay tuned.  What do you think of the log cabin border?
I'm off to catch up on laundry.
Have a great week


12 comments:

  1. Such pretty quilts! I love that log cabin and the red and white especially. Glad you had a good time on your vacation. Sounds the right speed to me. Looking forward to more pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone else understands the distinction between a trip and a vacation.
    I love the nine-patch! Glad it found a good home. As to the border on the log cabin--who is to say? If the maker loved it I guess that is all that matters. I wouldn't have put them together. It seems kind of like putting marble columns on the front porch of your log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the border fabric, but not on a log cabin. I prefer my log cabins borderless. Thanks for sharing these lovelies. Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old quilts!!!! The nine patch is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking forward to your posts about the trip. The log cabin border is a great piece of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the red & white quilt. Simple design but striking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did some antiquing in the Lancaster area June 2010. That was heaven to me. Looking forward to more pictures from your travels. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my leaving that red and white quilt behind must have been hard! beautiful quilt and striking design!
    wow that border fabric is so interesting wouldn't you like to own a few yards of that ;)
    looking forward to reading more about your vacation

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun browsing trip. I love the red/white quilt; do you happen to know the name of that pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a fun trip Dawn. I can't say that I like the border on the log cabin. The border fabric is really unusual and I like it, just not on that quilt;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilts! The border on the log cabin is really interesting...so many are just finished with a binding.

    This sounds like a quilt lovers dream trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What nice old quilt - I love the border on the log cabin, and usually I prefer them bound, but that oversized print works!
    Can't wait to see more

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!